Sunday, June 15, 2008

Being Human.



Recently Dave posted a blog about being a dwarf. More specifically, the experience of being drunk and functional. Unfortunately Dave is not as impervious to liquor as the stout dwarf, and the ensuing post was a source of amusement for all.

I think Dave was only half-serious in his research study about dwarvishness, and I am only half-serious when I say I'm still figuring out how to be human. It seems like other people 'get' this, or at least don't wonder about how to have the most fulfilling human experience. I think I forgot to pick up the starter manual at birth.

I've seen some beautiful and awesome things possible in life. Two middle aged people, married, and still playfully in love with each other. The man would follow his wife around the house, playing songs and singing to her on his mandolin. She would bring him dinner in a crock pot when he worked late, wrapping it in kitchen towels to keep it warm.

I know people who find their jobs meaningful. I know people who wordlessly inconvenience themselves for a friend. These people have something, they are something. What were their trials? What lessons did they learn that this kind of beauty is their reward?

I want to know these lessons, because I think they are integral to being human. Show me, please.

Image hoisted from Sarachmet.

No comments: