Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A long vein.

Let me continue on this vein, I think the topic is applicable to most of my generation.

What I know of being Grownup comes from a 2nd hand perspective, watching my parents as a child, when they were closest to myself now in terms of personal development. Now understand that I love and respect my parents, less out of duty than of honesty. And if I wind up as fun and well-adjusted as them when I'm their age than I will have done something right.

But growing up my parents appeared preoccupied with life. If they enjoyed it much, it was beyond my perception at the time. I was the one having all the fun and freedom. Now I see them on my own horizon. Were they zesty when I was young? Or did their spirits hibernate under the cloak of a career, marriage, and parenting winter? How did they ever weather that simultaneously?

I feel as though I'm only starting to know myself, just on the cusp of this Grown-up winter.

No comments: